Safety Center

Carbon monoxide (CO)

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas. Sources include malfunctioning appliances, vehicle exhaust, blocked chimney flues, and charcoal grills used in the home, garage or otherwise unventilated area. 

Symptoms Of Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide may cause any or all of the following symptoms – headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing, rapid heartbeat, ringing in the ears, seeing spots, fatigue, confusion, memory loss, loss of coordination, blurred vision, feeling ill or tired at home but fine when away from home, loss of consciousness, coma and eventually seizures, cardiac arrest and respiratory failure. 

Other household symptoms include stuffy, foul-smelling or stale air, the smell of exhaust fumes, a yellow/orange flame on gas ranges, furnace or water heater burners, soot around outside of chimney, furnace or water heater flue vent or fireplace and large areas of condensation of water vapor on walls of windows.

What to do

If you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, leave your home and call 911 immediately, 

To prevent problems, have your furnace and water heater serviced regularly by a qualified professional to ensure they are working efficiently and safely. This includes proper venting of exhaust gases. Do not cut off or restrict combustion air sources to appliances.

You may also consider purchasing a carbon monoxide alarm.